Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Veggnog (Vegan Eggnog)


Posted By: Hayley Shwaizer, CNP
I was gutted I had to give up eggnog upon discovering I was lactose intolerant. Then I found a soy brand and thought “hurray” until I perused the ingredients list to discover many things I did not want to consume such as the use of non-organic GMO soybeans, carrageenan (an uncertain ingredient currently on the FDA list for cancer study since it is a carcinogen in animals) and natural flavours (an umbrella term for who knows what – please companies tell us so we can decide for ourselves if we think it’s safe)... I decided it was time to make my own, and it was way easier than I had imagined!
Indulge in this delicious and easy-to-make creamy holiday classic sans problematic ingredients like eggs, dairy and sugar. As another bonus you’ll be adding some raw foods, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals that will make your skin glow! This treat gets me right into the holiday spirit.
1 ripe avocado
2 cups almond milk (preferably homemade)
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp turmeric
4 tsp vanilla extract
½  cup of rum/brandy (optional)
A few pinches of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and sea salt

Step one – Blend all the ingredients together until smooth
Step two – Pour into glasses, sprinkle extra nutmeg and cinnamon on top
Step three – Try not to glug it all down in one go ;)
Serves 4
Recipe by: Hayley Shwaizer, CNP

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you posted this recipe! As a vegan, I miss eggnog, and I hadn't found a substitute for it yet. It sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete